- Vision & Mission
- Image Gallery
- Contact us
- RTI Act
- RTI Act Report
- Gandhian Study Centre
- College Calendar
- Job Placements
- IQAC Annual Reports
- Exam Results
- Rank List
- Rules And Regulations
- Centre For Research
Faculty and Campus
MGM - Sports Summary from Department of Sports
MGM College has had a long history of encouraging young people to develop their personality by involving themselves in a variety of co-curricular activities . The field on which a great deal of attention was focussed by the management was the sports field. The college can boast of very extensive playgrounds where every other day a sports meet takes place. The college had very able physical directors like Mr. D N Somasunder, Sri. U V Acharaya and Miss. K Sundari, while Smt. Jayashree Nayak is the present physical directress. Traditions have been so well established that the atmosphere of discipline , decorum and dignity has been continuing without interruption during the last twenty years .
General Rules Regarding Sports Activities
1. Captains for the various games will be nominated by the Physical Director of the College.
2. Players for the representative teams in various games will be selected from among the players who are regular both for practice and for intramural games competitions.The selections will be made by the Physical Director in consultation with the members of Physical Education Committee.
3. Teams which donot carry out the instructions of the Physical Education teacher and are very irregular for practice will not participate in any competitions.
4. If the players selected are irregular for practice or if their conduct is not good they will not be permitted to participate in any tournament and such persons may have to pay back the expenses incurred for providing them with uniforms and such other things.
5. All players should come in proper uniformfor the various games and sports.
6. In all games and sports the players are required to conduct themselves properly both in and off the fields.Each one should be a good follower and obey the instructions.Important thing for every one is "To Play the Game"
7. Students who receive the materials from the games room should return them safely to the person who has issued them.
8. Playground is a place where you move about freely and sometimes roll on the ground and therefore it is absolutely necessary to keep the playing area clean and safe.Similarly the materials should be kept clean so that you are free from injury.
9. On all working days all are free to play between 4.00 p.m. and 6.00 p.m.
10. No student on the roll of the College is permitted to play in any outside team in a particular event without the permission of the of the Principal.
11. In all matters of discrepancy and discipline Principal's decision will be final.
Events and Plans
Great events have taken place on the A L N Rao playgrounds of MGM.
The Ranji Cricket Meet held in 1978 was a memorable event.
The Management of the College has launched the project of erecting a permanent cricket stadium for the use of the students and the public in memory of Birth Centenary of our Founder DR, T M A Pai.
It will give Udupi a very prominent place in the sports map of the world.
The Department of Physical Education is well-equipped. There is a well laid out playground with 400 m track, foot ball, Basket Ball, Volley Ball court and Cricket Pitch for organizing various games and sports. A remarkable addition to the infrastructure has been the construction of a full-fledged Indoor Sports Complex with partial grants from UGC, constructed at a cost of nearly Rs. 2 crores (U.G.C. grant Rs. 40 lakh). The Complex consists of 3 badminton courts (two with wooden flooring and one with cement flooring), which can also be used as Volley Ball Courts, 2 gyms (onefor girls and one for boys) 3 table Tennis and Chess Boards.
For the benefit of students, Physical Education Department has initiated stress-relieving programmes such as ‘Yoga & Pranayama’. The Physical Education Department strives to provide training to potential athletes by arranging and monitoring their day-to-day training schedule. It also primarily focuses on the overall physical well being of all students by participation in sports and games thereby achieving a life style which eventually enables them to be good citizens.
The chronicle of the college is rich with the accounts of outstanding achievements on the sports grounds by succeeding generations of students . In the golden era of MGM sports Mr. M G S Shetty showed such high promises on the field that everybody hoped that one day he would shine as an international sports star . And he did fulfill their dreams when he got a silver in the Asian games held at Bangkok . The tradition has continued almost without interruption with K Gopal , Mr. Gopal Kidiyoor (National champion in Javelin Throw) , Mr. B Madhava Shetty (Mr. Mysore) who have held the banner of MGM sports high . Miss Jacqueline Priyadarshini of the academic year 1997-98 , veritable Sprint Queen got the first place in almost every short-distance run at every level : state , inter-university or national. It really augurs well that to coincide with the Golden Jubilee Celebrations of the college a new Cricket Stadium is going to be constructed.